Sharon in New York

Not-quite daily blab.

Saturday, December 11

Gearing up!

Hmmm....so where to start?

What went on all this week? Well, I am up at normal time on a Saturday, so I must be excited/anxious about something...It's 8:30am!

We received our first paychecks that have minimal practical responsibilities… no rent to pay, not really any bills...It reminds me why I handle the stress and pressure at work. We've been working pretty much 10-11 hours a day, leaving at 9:45 at night. Dave is taking over my position as traffic coordinator, right at the time we're dealing with 2Rs and confirming pages, getting ready to ship to sep, and *just* getting all the in-between feature pages for both grades! It's crazy.

I'm sorry if I'm talking book garble and it's not clear- basically the project has a million pieces for two different grades of a Social Studies book, we're nearing the last steps of the process, and we're still getting a crapload of extra pages to pour and design last minute from the Publisher.

ANYWAY, Eric and I are starting OUR new job on Monday. And even though I'm the Production Manager and he's the Assistant Production Manager, I'm afraid he's the guy with most of the info. I'm a little nervous starting out without any information on where the other books in house are at- I'll have to do the "Sharon crash-course" and pull through. I feel like I'll still be ok. I guess I'm just over-anxious to get the hang of it.

I have a great desk with a window for the first time! The office is overlooking the street that takes the cars to and away from the Lincoln Tunnel (Dyer Ave.). Around 4:30pm, cars start piling up trying to merge together to get into the tunnel, and it gets so jammed cars end up getting caught in the middle of the intersection, blocking traffic trying to get through. I've never heard such a noise! I swear every car in a two-block radius holds down their horn for a whole 2 minutes at the same time! Even giant trucks that sound like a cruise ship horn... WHOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! Sometimes you can even hear people yelling out their car windows in that great NY accent, "MOVE! What's amatta with you!? @#* MOVE IT!"...I'm going to record the noise and upload it to my site (which is nearly complete, by the way- I'll anounce it when it's ready)!

Today I'm going shopping for ME. It’s been soooooo long!!! I know what I need, and I'm going to try and be very patient. I'm a terrible shopper. I've been poor for so long....I hope the Shopping Gods are with me, because I won't have much time to do it later! I also want to get some personal office supplies to make my job even better.

I believe we are going to hit the Manhattan Apple Store tonight (Eric and I are very excited!) and I think I’m going to buy that iSight I’ve been blabbing about so much. I’m already feeling guilty spending the money on it. I mean, neither Dave or I know anyone with one, so we won’t be conferencing with it. Do I spend $150 for just a web cam for my web site? I can’t seem to find a cheap cam for Mac OSX….it’s crazy! That’s all I really need…we’ll see. Anyone have an iSight or have any comments?

Also, we're going in to work on Sunday so I can start the Christmas decorating in the office for what I hope brings a happy first week as "the new boss”. I will also be reorganizing my new desk and rummaging through Jim's stuff (the guy I'm replacing). I have QUITE a lot to learn in a short amount of time!!!

I'll fill you in this weekend if anything cool happens, but for now, wish me luck for the week!!! =)