Sharon in New York

Not-quite daily blab.

Friday, October 1

We’re here. No way.

I can’t believe it. We’re here. We actually made it.

The drive wasn’t so bad! All three cats rode fairly quietly thanks to some herbal calming drops I bought at the pet store right before we left. Only three small (and expected) situations with Louie, my big fat orange cat. I was prepared for the poo.

Dave, Eric and I drove as long as we could Thursday night, rotating from Penske truck to rented mini van, cracking jokes for hours using some walkie-talkies I had bought a few years back. Thank GOD I still had them! They kept us laughing, in instant touch, helped us navigate like pros, and most importantly, kept us all awake! We found a pet-friendly hotel around 3am and slept for about 5 hours. I let the cats out into the hotel room and they even slept. We were all exhausted.

We finally arrived at our new place at 3pm on Friday. We only had the elevator until 5…Dave and Eric did an absolutely phenomenal job! While they unpacked the truck into the apartment (and nearing 6pm the basement area), I moved the boxes through the apartment to the rooms they belonged and started getting the basic needs unpacked and organized the best I could. The boxes just kept coming! We finally finished around 1am.

Our place was bigger than I had remembered! Man, is it SO nice! I’m so glad we got a place in Jersey City. It’s cheaper, you get a bigger apartment, and it’s closer to Manhattan than Staten Island!!! There’s a Boar’s Head (our favorite) deli, a grocer, and an amazing liquor store right around the corner. Tons of delivery services. What a great place!

I can’t think about living here just yet. I want to get a few things in place and just not think for a few days before we start work on Monday. We’re not going to push ourselves too hard on unpacking- just enough to get around the apartment. Besides, Eric is here for a few days and I want to enjoy a few nights on the town to celebrate!


Dave packing stuff into every last space of the moving truck!


Our new place, boxes flowing in...