Sharon in New York

Not-quite daily blab.

Thursday, June 9

Skirts and sandals!

HAPPY SUMMER!

Yeah, I know it's still spring. But it's SO hot it feels like summer.

I've NEVER worn skirts or dresses, and barely ever shorts (unless I was specifically going to the beach or taking a walk outside). The last time I wore a dress was 5-6 years ago and it was for a friend’s wedding. I think I wore a skirt maybe 10 years ago or more! But today, I forced myself to wear a skirt and sandals and it was pretty awesome! It felt so hip walking the New York streets in a linen skirt and artsy sandals! Now all I need is an iPod...

I think it's the "seasons" thing. It was just snowing a few short months ago- that makes this summer actually FEEL like summer. In Florida, it ALWAYS feels like summer, so it's nothing. In New York, it's totally different. It's like dressing to celebrate every different season.

For example: in Florida, if you wear flip-flops, it's not all that attractive- it’s just...normal. Almost lazy. But you can go to a club in New York, or a high-end restaurant and see a woman in a beautiful, long dress and flip flops and it's cool as hell!

It'll take me a while to go all sandals, though. On the way home from work I stopped and bought a pair of hemp Converse sneakers.