Sharon in New York

Not-quite daily blab.

Monday, November 7

Sailing with Capt’n Ron II

Ron decided to try and get one more sail out before winter came, so he had Demitri, Maggie (D’s puppy), Josh, Jef, Eric, Dave and I join him after work today!

The wind was crazy! We were FLYING down the Hudson- even on almost one side for about 30 minutes! Dave even got the chance to steer. We sailed all the way past the Verrazanos Narrows Bridge to the Atlantic Ocean and back again! So beautiful. Of course, since my camera is still [ahem] stuck on “night”, only one photo came out (sort of). I did manage to get a few shots with my trusty camera phone, though:

Jef looking about


Maggie on deck


The Verrazanos Narrows Bridge from below


Dave and I on the way back


As we entered the canal to get to the marina, Ron turned the key to start the engine. Nothing! We (Ron, Demitri and Josh, that is) had to tack back and forth until we reached the Marina. We quietly sailed into the full marina at night, gently pushing off poles, docks, and other boats. A man came out of one of the boats and helped us pull it into Ron’s space.

After we docked, Ron was tying up the boat but his rope got stuck, so he tugged harder… the rope let go and Ron went flying into the water! Damn, I wish I had a photo. A great end to the night. (For everyone but Ron, anyway)

Thanks AGAIN, Ron!!!!