Sharon in New York

Not-quite daily blab.

Saturday, July 2

Fireworks night

Great game last night! The Mets won again (...but lost today). The fireworks show.... magnificent!

On Wednesday night, Dave and I happened to watch "Imagine" (the documentary about John Lennon, not the musical one). There was a great part showing the Beatles performing at Shea Stadium in '64 (40 years ago). Then last night, the entire Fireworks show was set to Beatles songs! Very cool. And the show was so much longer than I thought it was going to be! Shea went all out!

It rained a bit just during the first two innings, even after the sun broke out...


Eric and Jef looking stoic, and Dave and I looking goofy!


Fireworks, just to the right of our seats!

I took more shots of us all at Shea ( Jef, Ron, Brad, Eric, Dave and I), but I had to use a film camera, something I haven't used in what seems forever! (I'll develop them after the fourth.) My digital camera broke last week and can only take night shots. I'm going to drop the camera off to get fixed while we're in the city tomorrow.

Our friends Jef and Angela rent a great apartment a few blocks away here in Jersey City, and he has a great view of the Statue of Liberty from his rooftop terrace. Aaaand, it just so happens that the city is shooting off fireworks between the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island! Dave, Eric and I are invited over to join them for a barbeque, a few drinks, and to get the best seats around! It's going to be SCHWEET! (Thank you so much, Jef and Angie!!!)

I practiced guitar today with Dave. I'd like to perform "Across the Universe" by the Beatles (with as little Fiona Apple in mind as possible. I really wish I had done that cover first!). Also Tracy Bonham's "Mother, Mother" (that song is so much fun to play acoustically), and Dishwalla's "Angels and Devils". BTW: I caught the Dishwalla posts a few people were making; I TOTALLY agree. I used to sing that song with Dave in Florida last year, and had started learning it on guitar- it's a great beginner's song! J.R. has an beautiful range, too! I'd also like to do a Semisonic song or two.

I'm totally not ready to share an original song. Not yet. I'm not even sure I'll be ready to perform next week, but I'm going to play hard to get there.